Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Flaming Lava reposted

In August 2011, I took a three-hour art class with Ed Furuike in Honolulu (http://www.furuikeart.com/web/) on oil painting with a palette knife.  Ed is a Hawaiian professional artist who really enjoys teaching.  I was delighted to be in his class and marveled at what one could do on a canvas with a palette knife.  I completed “Flaming Lava” below which he mailed to me.  I couldn’t believe I did it with a palette knife.


I chose the model from one of Ed’s magazine photos and bravely started what I had never done before, with his guidance and help.  Then he suggested that I add a white bird to the scene (barely discernible in the upper middle part of the frame).  When there is a volcanic eruption, Hawaiian legend says the lone white bird is Pele which travels alone and is protective of its domain.

Flaming Lava, Oil on Canvas, 14" x 18"

I still don't feel comfortable with palette knife painting but I have finished an abstract piece I called "Tsunami" done mostly with a palette knife (see below) and recently started a seascape with a combination of brush and palette knife.  I will post an image when I finish it.

Tsunami, oil on wood, 13" x 14"

No comments: