Wednesday, June 26, 2013

How I clean my paint brushes and palette knives (update)

An artist should know how to treat paint brushes and palette knives with care.  From a class I took with Ed Furuike in Honolulu, I learned how to paint with a palette knife and how to clean it.  I first wipe off the excess paint in a newspaper or an old phonebook page, then clean it with a baby wipe sheet.  Works like magic!

When I'm finished painting with my brushes, I dip them in turpenoid (water for acrylic users) and blot them on newspaper or cheap paper towels.  You can also clean them with baby wipes.  Once I'm done, I clean each brush with Lava soap, rinse it clean, then rub it on Octagon soap to soften the bristles.  I rinse the brushes thoroughly and let them dry upright in an empty container.


It sounds like a lot of work but taking care of your brushes and palette knives will assure a longer life.

No comments: