Thursday, July 04, 2013

Nelson Mandela and His Family

This is not a proper venue to voice out my opinions about public figures but I will make an exception for Nelson Mandela.  He is my ideal of a good leader and a good person.  The many times my husband had traveled to Pretoria and Johannesburg on business, he always hoped he'd get a chance to meet the great Madiba.  I, too, during my few visits there, dreamed I would see him by accident.

Now that Mandela is lying close to death in a hospital bed, his family is feuding about his grave site and monies.  The great leader who, after 26 years of imprisonment, took control of the country, tried everything to reconcile the black majority and the Afrikaners who imposed apartheid.

"Evidently grace and dignity are not inherited," an editorial in the Citizen, a local paper, wrote.     

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I actually met him on a plane flying from Tanzania shortly after his release from prison. He was a very dignified but approachable person. The world will be much worse off after he is gone.